17th century farmhouse being restored at fairfield farm college

Fairfield Farm College is marking its 45-year anniversary in 2020, and what better way to celebrate than restoring the farmhouse where it all began, back in 1975. The college was originally established as a Rural Training Centre by Ruth and Ken Hester, and later became Fairfield Opportunity Farm in 1992. The main aim of the charity was to help young adults with learning difficulties gain training, with the end goal of obtaining work. The farmhouse was pivotal in the development of the charity, with Ken Hester living in the farmhouse well into his eighties. Ken Hester sadly passed away on Sunday 11th March 2018, but his legacy and the many thousands of people he has helped will continue in the work that Fairfield Farm Trust undertakes.

To continue Ruth and Ken Hesters vision, Fairfield Farm Trust is working to restore the beautiful Grade 2 Listed farmhouse in central Dilton Marsh. According to Ken Hester, writing for the Dilton Marsh History Society, the house was built over 250 years ago in 1764. Working closely with the local council and conservation officer, Fairfield Farm Trust are restoring the farmhouse to its former glory, making sure it will be around for many years to come. 

We look forward to sharing updates with you over the coming months showing the progress of the restoration. Here are some photos taken recently showing the current progress, there is still a long way to go, bu we’re making good progress!

Thanks to Dilton Marsh History Society for the information on the history of our Farm House and the late Ken Hester.

FOR ALL THE LATEST NEWS, FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA!