The aim of the course is to learn about plants, how to grow them and Health and Safety in the garden. You will learn to sow seeds, prick out seedlings, identify parts of a plant, plant out, weed, feed, water and harvest a range of vegetables. You will help to plan what we grow in each plot and select produce to be sold in the farm shop as well as help maintain the gardens at the college houses. You will learn to identify and use a range of hand tools as well as using a petrol mower and cultivator under supervision.
Accredited by AptEd:
• Introduction to Garden Maintenance Skills – E3
• Introduction to Propagation of Plants – E3
• Introduction to Practical Floristry Skills – E3
• Developing Skills for Sowing and Growing Plants – E3
• Developing an Awareness of Soil Types and Garden Habitats – E3
• Developing Skills for Using and Maintaining Garden Tools – E3
• Preparation for Production – E3
• Internal – growing plants to sell in the college farm shop as well as for planting in college house gardens.
• External – undertaking projects in the community, including: conservation work, working in a local quarry, undertaking work experience at Palmer Gardens (Shaw Trust)
• Level 1 course at mainstream college, if appropriate
• Paid or supported employment or voluntary work in a Garden Centre or for a Gardener/ Landscaping Company